Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Chinese New Year

Happy Year of the Ox! Yesterday was the Chinese New Year, and in an attempt to be festive, I prepared some chicken fried rice. Chris, a tiger, looked up each of our animal signs while I cooked. I am a dragon. Chase is a snake, and Noel is, no surprise here, a pig. We got a real kick out of that, but Chase was a little concerned because snakes should avoid pigs. When we sat down to eat, Chris made some comment about them being lucky I was so cultural.
I am not sure that Chicken Fried Rice qualifies as cultural, but I'll take it. I said that if I had time I would have made dumplings as that is the traditional meal for the new year. Chase said, " I bet Grandma and Papa had dumplings...chicken and dumplings." Maybe so, but I somehow don't think it is quite the same.

No comments: