Monday, February 4, 2008

A SUPER weekend

The Lammers family had the best weekend! I knew my mom was coming into town for the Baptism, but I figured she would probably drive in on Saturday morning. Chris and I were both dragging on Friday from our collective newborn parenting, and then at 5:30 the phone rang and my mom was only 30 minutes away! She offered to babysit while Chris and I went out to dinner, but I told here all we really wanted to do was sleep. So, she offered to spend the night and stay up with Noel! Chris and I got to sleep, all night, together in our bed. Crazy!!! Thanks mom that was amazingly wonderful.
We woke up Saturday, well rested and that was a good thing because it was Noel's Baptism day, the feast of the Presentation of Jesus. We got everything together and made it to the church with plenty of time. I changed Noel into the Lammers' Christening gown. It was hand made by Chris's great grandmother and three generations have been baptized in it. I was a little nervous that my little chubb-o might not fit in it, but he did. He began to get hungry right when the ceremony was set to begin, so I was very worried this might be unpleasant for all involved. However he took his pacifier and sucked it peacefully pretty much the entire time. I actually got to take in and enjoy the beautiful rite. It was such a stark contrast from the first time around.
I think the priest who performed Chases' baptism probably thought he was possessed he screamed so much. He wailed from before it started until long after it was finished. It in not one of my fonder memories of his babyhood. After Noel's baptism, my grandmother asked if they had added something to the ritual because Chases' was so much shorter. We decided maybe Chase got a short version because he was so, so unhappy to be there.
After the baptism, everyone went back to the lodge for a celebratory lunch. My dad and his best friends have a BBQ catering business that they do mostly as a hobby (and an excuse to get together and drink beer), so we had delicious BBQ sandwiches and all the usual sides. Chris's family had put all that part together and Jessica, the Godmother, decorated for the party. There were so many family members and friends there and it was so laid back and relaxed. I felt so blessed and loved! It was a gorgeous day and when MaryBeth and her girls got there we went for a walk on the farm in search of Buster the donkey and his cow friends. Ella was a little concerned the donkey might eat her feet, but I assured her donkeys ate grass and hay. An added bonus was that my old friend Joan had come to spend the weekend with the Blair girls and we got to visit and she got to meet Noel.
On Sunday, we went to church then to Grandma's for lunch as usual. Noel was in an exceptionally good mood. He put on quite the performance of goos and smiles. The funny thing is he mainly did it for my papa. After a while we headed home and got ready to go to a Super Bowl get together. The get together consisted of a various members of the Lammers' family and friends from church (actually most fit bothe those categories). Again, it was a laid back, stress free affair. We arrived home tired but content. The icing on the cake is Jessica spent the night and did the graveyard shift. A mom could get spoiled by this!!!
I will do my dead level best to get the pictures of this weekend up tonight or in the morning.

No comments: