Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Asleep at the Bottle

For the past several nights Noel has had a fairly predictable and managable sleep pattern. He dozes off around 8ish then wakes up and fusses for a while around 11:00, eats and sleeps til 3 or 4 eats and goes right back to sleep. This has been managable because Chris usually does the 11 shift and I handle the 3am. This was working out so well that let's just say I got a little arrogant. Rather than going to bed early last night, I decided to stay up until 10:30 and watch a movie like some crazy grown up might do. Noel did his typical dozing while we watched to movie and fussed a little. At 10:30, I changed his diaper and gave him a snack anticipating a nice long slumber, which I got. In fact the night would have been perfect except when he woke up at 3:19am, he decided that sleep was over rated.
When he woke up, I fed him like normal and tried to be as business like and boring as possible. He ate and I tried to put him back to sleep but he kept wiggling and mildly fusssing, so I changed his diaper and tried to go back to sleep. He was not going back to sleep. So for two hours we did diferent things that did not result in sleep and I eventually ended up making him another bottle. I began to give it to him and then woke up with a start. My hand was still cupped as though holding a bottle but the bottle had fallen out. It had landed in such a way that Noel could still eat. I have no idea how long I had slipped from consciousness. What an odd sensation to be sitting up "holding a bottle" but be sound asleep! Noel finally gave up in time for me to slip into a deep enough sleep to be absolutely startled by the alarm clock going off an hour later.
I hit snooze one too many times and Chris had to wake up Chase. Those two are like oil and water in the morning so I had to referee while I tried to get ready. Buddy threw up in the middle of the kitchen floor, and it took all I had not to do the same as I cleaned it up. All the while, my little Noelly was sound asleep like an Angel.
It is hard to have a positive outlook for the day when it starts out like this one did. However, we are trying really hard to teach Chase that he controls his life because he controls his attitude. So, I am putting on my ranger smile, drinking ridiculous quantities of coffee, and thanking God that I have the opportunity to do mid-morning feedings, play referee, and clean up after boys and pets. Hope each of you has a wonderful day!

2 comments:

LeAnne said...

I used to do that when I was nursing Kayce. I would wake up, sitting up and Kayce and I would be sound asleep. I would also put her down, fall asleep and then wake up thinking that I was still nursing never remembering that I had already laid her down. Talk about a scary feeling. Got to love the dogs adding to the morning routine. Brewster always picks my worst mornings to leave a "stomach surprise" for me.

MaryBeth said...

I'll gladly pull a night shift for you sometime!! Just let me know when you guys could use a break. As you know, this part will be history before you know it... soak it all in while you can.