Sunday, January 27, 2008

Taking the better part?

The bible story of Mary and Martha has always given me trouble. That is the story of Martha bustling around in the kitchen while Mary sits at Christ's feet. Finally, Martha is exasperated and asks Jesus to intercede on her behalf. Instead, he tells Martha that Mary has chosen the better part. I struggle with this story because to be perfectly honest I am on Martha's side. I have a really hard time taking the better part and just enjoying my blessings rather than working amidst them.
So Saturday morning found us planning to go to Noel's cousins' baptism about an hour away at 10am. For a "Noel night" it had been a fairly good one and 8 am found me laying on the couch with both my sons peacefully asleep. For a thousand and one reasons I tried to make myself get up and get the boys up too. The main reason was I genuinely wanted to go to the baptism, but something told me to be still and take the better part. I just laid there for the longest time and revelled in my miracles. There are very few minutes in life when a mother of sons finds them still and sweet enough to do so. It was great, but I couldn't help but feel guilty. Was I taking the better part or just being lazy?

2 comments:

LeAnne said...

You were definitely taking the better part. The only time Blake has slept in my arms was when he was sick. I would have done the exact same thing had I been in your shoes. There is no greater peace than to hold a sleeping child in your arms.

MaryBeth said...

Another vote for better part here! Gotta love those sweet, snugly moments, and relish them just as you did.