Tuesday, January 15, 2008

That was easy






Creating a blog that is...
Well, I am new to the blogging world but I am trying to keep up with technology and use this as an electronic baby book for my newly adopted son. My best friend is a blogger and it gives me great joy to read abouot their misadventures so I figure why not. Here is the brief version of our amazing adventure that brough us baby Noel.
My older son is six and from the time he turned two I have felt those very strong desires to be a mother again. I had no inclination that it would be difficult as it was certainly easy to concieve number one (6 months into our marriage). Years went by and the doctors could find nothing physically wrong with Chris or I. Aggressive fertility treatments did not feel right for either of us, so we left it up to God. I say this as though that were a simple thing to do. I should say I have argued with God a lot over the issue. But as usual, the process taught me much and God always knows best. But at the vigil Mass on Christmas Eve I logged one more petition God's way. First I thanked him for the baby he sends each of us every year on Christmas in the Christ child, but then I told him I needed a real live baby too. I asked if there was a baby up there who was sick, would have been aborted or abused to send it to me instead.
So, on Christmas day at 10:30 am I got a phone call from my dear friend who is a mid-wife. There was an 8lb. 2oz. baby boy at the hospital whose mother could not take him home. She was very young and already had three other children. My friend encouraged us to talk and think about it and to not feel pressure. There are no words to describe how I felt at that moment. It is not often our prayers are answered so specifically and so fast. We excitedly consulted our families and went to see our precious child that afternoon.
That was one of the most emotional hours of my life. I was ecstatic and instantly in love with this baby boy, but I felt such compassion for his mother. As a mother, I could not imagine what she was going through. We answered a lot of questions and returned home to finish celebrating Christmas and prepare to bring home a brand new baby the very next day. The above photo was taken on that first visit.

2 comments:

MaryBeth said...

I am so excited that you finally started a blog!! Can't wait to read about all the adventures of raising 2 wild boys... since all we have around here is girls, girls, girls and more girls! Perhaps you and Scott should make the occasional switch so that you can each enjoy a little time with others of your same gender, ha, ha.
Love you guys!

Alyssa said...

I got to your blog from Lindsey Oliver's blog and my husband and I are about to get custody of a beautiful 4 year old boy. He is also African American, like your little one, and I would love to pick your brain. If you have time,I would love to talk to you.

Alyssa Larsen
larsen.alyssa@gmail.com