Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Boo Hoo Flu!

I am not a germ-a-phobe. In fact, I have been known to say, "I am not afraid of germs". But, after nursing Chase through this terrible flu that is going around only to return to my job and find it has hit our campus in epidemic proportions, I AM afraid, very afraid.
The flu hit Chase hard and fast. I literally had to wrestle him into bed on Tuesday night because he was bouncing off the walls, only to have him come into my room running a high fever at 5am. He and Chris were planning on going skiing with our church's youth group that upcoming weekend so I scheduled a Dr.'s appt. 1st thing hoping to nip whatever this was in the bud. We saw a new pediatrician in our practice who assured me what he had was viral and I needed to just keep him comfortable. He just got sicker and sicker and sicker. On Friday when he said his ear was hurting, I made yet another call to the doctor and got an appointment with our regular pediatrician, whom I LOVE.
She took one look at him and said he has the flu. I told her he had gotten the flu shot but apparently the shots are not effective this year. She looked at his ears and informed the tube in the left ear was out (the other doc had told me he could see the tip of it). His right ear was draining fluid (he had informed me of this fact when we got out of the car and in the same breath insisted he did not need to see the doctor) because his eardrum had ruptured. Yes, that is apparently as painful as it sounds because he was miserable. She was not sure whether she could see the tube in that ear or not but she doubted it was in place since that ear had become infected.

Keep in mind this was at about 4:30 on Friday and the trip Chase had been looking forward to for 2 months left at 7:00am the next morning. I had already told him he wasn't going to make it this year, and while he was very disappointed, I think he knew he was too sick to go too. He did , however, keep moaning loudly "Why did God send me these germs?" The real catch is, the church was counting on Chris to be a chaperone so he was still obligated to go.

My mom just happend to call as we were leaving the doctor's office and she decided to head on down from Charlotte right then because Chase sounded so pitiful. He would not go to bed though until she got there so we all had a late night. Once again, over the weekend I was in awe of single parents. I have said it before and I will say it again, I do not know how they do it. If my mom had not spent the weekend with us, I don't know how we would have managed.

Thankfully, good health and the father have returned to the Lammers' household!

No comments: