Monday, June 8, 2009

Bad News Quota-Met for a long time!

Warning: This is not my typical funny stories about the kids blogpost.


I have gotten to the point that I am almost afraid to check facebook, read e-mail, or catch up on blogs. I can't think of another time when I have been so inundated with bad news from friends, family, or even strangers whose stories have somehow crossed my consciousness. I keep saying I have met my bad news quota but the breaking news keeps on coming
I feel so powerless when I hear stories of sick children, broken homes, miscarriages, sick or dying parents, and soldiers killed defending our country. I am such a problem solver at heart I cannot stand being unable to do anything. I want to physically do something to help. Maybe it is in my good Southern genes, but upon the hearing of bad news I almost always mentally inventory my pantry for ingredients to a casserole. Even if I can't do anything else, I can feed you.
I had to take my Grandfather to the ER on Friday night (everything turned out ok and he was released at 3:30 a.m.) While I was there I couldn't help but notice a young man with a full laundry basket that he carried around with him. I filling out Papa's paperwork and he came to check in right next to me. He told the clerk he could not read or write and asked her to fill the forms out for him. When she asked what was wrong he told her he was suicidal.
Now maybe, it was because the majority of the bad news I received came through on Friday or maybe I was just tired, but as we sat in the waiting room with that young man I very nearly started weeping. I was also compelled to offer to take his laundry and wash it for him because that was something I could do to help his life just a little bit. My logical mind knew this was an absurd thought, but my action oriented heart felt that if someone could just show him some kindness his life would improve.
Instead, I took the only action that I realistically could take. I prayed. And, that is the action I am taking for all the aforementioned situations I referenced. I invite you to pray to. Pray for the Pethel family, the Longs, the Jenrettes, the Page's, the families whose names I withheld for privacy, and the stranger in the ER.

2 comments:

Bill & Stacie said...

Seriously, and we just found out last night that Bill's dad had a heart attack. Things look okay for him now though.

Alyssa said...

I read yhou blog occasionally and we are also adopting an African American child, so I guess I feel like I know you somehow. Our A-day is July 17th. I had a moment very similar to this today and wept in my car for all the things wrong in the world right now. Scary and sad and somewhat hopeless, at times. I am praying, too.