Thursday, April 30, 2009

William Chase, MD


A week or so ago Chase was not feeling well. In, over the top, Chase form he resorted to great histrionics to make sure everyone knew just how poorly he was feeling. His pitiful faces and moans were getting on my last nerve so I sent him to lay down on the couch. Little did I know, Chris had left Fox News on the television, and the next thing I knew Chase comes into the kitchen nearly sobbing. That's right, he was convinced he had the swine flu.
I am in no way, shape, or form trying to poke fun of the swine flu (or whatever it is being called at this moment so as not to offend any pigs), but at the time there were only cases in California and Texas. I asked Chase if he had been kissing any pigs or had snuck away from me to a secret trip to Mexico. Since he had not, our swine flu fears were somewhat eased.
The next day he was still not well. He found me in the laundry room and proclaimed he had strep throat (Honestly, I hadn't been ruling that out but several kids in his class were suffering the same symptoms so I was in wait and see mode) . The following is the resulting exchange:

Me-Is your throat sore?
Chase-No (said in a "that was a very stupid question" tone.)
Me-So, why do you think it is Strep?
Chase- My back hurts. ( A reference to our last bout of strep)
Me-Does it hurt like the time when you had strep before?
Chase -Well no, but I am sure that is what I have.

At this time our conversation had moved back into the kitchen where Chris was. I told Chris that I guessed I would go ahead and take him to the doctor to see if he had Strep. Chase looked totally shocked and said with great indignation, " I don't have Strep!" Never mind the fact he had spent the last five minutes trying to convince me he did. "Well, your running a temperature and have back pain maybe we should get it checked out so you can start getting better," is my response. To which my son, who obviously has taken on some advanced medical training in addition to his first grade course work, responds, "don't worry mom it is only a common fever."

And as it turns out it was. We did end up in quick care because his best friend did have Strep so I thought we were bound too as well. If only I had trusted William Chase, M.D.

No comments: