Monday, March 2, 2009

Across the Frozen Tundra

Let me begin this post by saying I will never again pray for, wish for, or revel in snow without saying a hearty prayer for those trying to travel in it. We went to Augusta this weekend to celebrate our God daughter's fourth birthday.(As usual, I forgot my camera.) We had a great time though the weather was cold and rainy. We had heard a rumor of snow so we checked the weather before we left and saw there was a Winter Weather Advisory. There was no snow where we were nor, where we were headed, so on we went.
This picture from the Athens Banner Herald is a dream compared to the conditions we drove through, as our route home is on a very rural state highway.




The normal three hour trip home took us six hours and for the majority of it we were praying. I have never seen such snow fall in my very southern life. At one point, which on a normal day would have been an hour from home, I called my dad to put he, and his 4 wheel drive truck, on standby to come get the kids because I literally thought we might be stranded on the side of the road. I think he thought I was nuts because the first flake had not fallen in our town, and I thought he was messing with my head because it felt like we were driving in Alaska.


Alas, we finally began to drive into some rain/snow mix and were able to pull off at a gas station. Noel, who thankfully had slept pretty much the entire trip, got out and started pointing at the falling snow as if to say, are you guys seeing what I am seeing? He missed all the excitement. Chase was not so fortunate. When I had to break it to him that there was no snow at our house , he said that was fine with him, he had had enough snow for one day.

1 comment:

HP said...

I know exactly how you felt...I was in it yesterday afternoon too when I headed back to Athens. I'll be a-ok if I never have to make that kind of drive again!