Wednesday, March 12, 2008

This Green eyed monster's eyes are blue!

So, I knew it was only a matter of time that the thrill of having a baby brother would wear off for Chase and turn to, if not jealousy, at least a longing for simpler times. He has been eerily good with the whole thing up until recently. I knew, though, through various warning signs this was coming to an end sooner than later. He has been acting out at school and at home as well as making some comments about things being different.
Yesterday, I used a Target gift card (Thanks Lynn and Pete!) to by Noel some exciting items like a laundry hamper, a trashcan, and bottles. When I picked Chase up he saw them and that was apparently the tipping point. He demanded to know why I bought that for Noel and not him. I explained it was because he already had those things in his room. Well, that obviously wasn't the point, and I knew that as well as anybody. I was then accused of the usual crimes of a jealous older sibling: buying more for Noel, doing more for Noel, and last but not least loving Noel more.
Now just because I knew this was coming doesn't mean I was prepared to handle it. I was especially not prepared for Chase to ask me to just give Noel to someone else, and then when I said that Noel was my son too for Chase to reply "but he is adopted." I felt like I had been punched. Granted, due to sleep deprivation, my coping skills are not what they should be, but I was literally in tears. I tried to calmly explain that just because Noel is adopted does not make him any less a member of our family, so Chase then said I should give him to someone else then. Oh the drama! Wherever does he get that from? ( No need to comment, mom, this was sarcasm.)
By this time we had gotten home. I let him cool off outside for a while, and when he came in I pulled him into my lap. He started crying and saying he was sorry that he did love Noel and didn't really want to give him away, but he really wanted things to be like before. I told him I understood and that it was ok to be jealous and even angry, but it was not ok to think Noel was less of a family member because he was adopted. It was also not ok to try to "get rid" of any member of our family. We are a team and we are sticking together no matter if we are angry, jealous, or anything else. I suggested we have a family talk once Chris got home, but by that time Chase did not want me to tell him. Of course, I told him later and now the entire world knows. Let this be a lesson to you, Do not trust your mother especially with stories that will be really funny and embarrassing later on in life!
P.S. Chase is seemingly back to normal with Noel and can't keep his hands off of him. I do believe he genuinely adores him but is having a hard time dealing with the change and verbalizing how he feels about it.

2 comments:

LeAnne said...

Ah, welcome to my world of sibling rivalry. Blake loves Kayce but he will also "help" her fall in a heartbeat. This to shall pass. At least, I hope so.

MaryBeth said...

Rats... I just typed up a comment and lost it. I apologize in advance if this comes through twice.

Poor Chase's life was already hard due to the stress of school life and homework for goodness sake! he, he
He probably really needs that vacation he requested a little while back. Perhaps I could keep little Noel and you, Chase, and E (or just you and Chase if you would like some one on one time) could do some "big" kid stuff together?!?